car·li·na | \ kärˈlīnə, -ēnə \
Definition of carlina
1 capitalized : a genus of herbs (family Compositae) of the Mediterranean region differing from the true thistles in having the outer involucral scales leaflike and spiny-toothed and the inner ones colored, raylike, and longer than the flowers
2 plural carlinae\ -ī(ˌ)nē , -ēˌnī \ : a plant of the genus Carlina
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game