ca·ris·sa | \ kəˈrisə\
Definition of carissa
1 capitalized : a large genus of spiny shrubs (family Apocynaceae) found in tropical Africa, Asia, and Australia
2 plural -s : any plant of the genus Carissa
3 or less commonly carissa plum -s : the plumlike fruit of a plant of the genus Carissa — see natal plum
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game