care forphrasal verb
cared for; caring for; cares for
Definition of care for
1 : to do the things that are needed to help and protect (a person or animal) : look after (someone or something) She cares for elderly patients. Who is caring for your son while you are at work?
2 : to feel affection for (someone) I got the feeling he never really cared for me.
3 somewhat formal : to like or enjoy (something) —often used in negative statements I don't care for jelly beans.I don't care for your tone of voice.
4 somewhat formal : to want (something) Would you care for some pie?
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game