card·enol·ide | \ kärˈdēnᵊlˌīd\
Definition of cardenolide
: any of numerous organic compounds with a characteristic ring structure many of which are found in plants (as some milkweeds), have an effect on the vertebrate heart like that of digitalis, and cause vomiting
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?