Definition of carbon offset
- A carbon offset occurs when an individual company or organization directly or indirectly (by funding projects in other locations) removes greenhouse gases from the atmosphere or prevents a certain quantity of greenhouse gases from being released.
- —Tyson Miller, Publishers Weekly, 10 Mar. 2008
- Purchase carbon offsets. For every pound of carbon dioxide your home releases, you can fund an environment-friendly endeavor that reduces the amount of greenhouse gases released into the air.
- —Suze Orman, O: The Oprah Magazine, Fall 2007
- When you purchase carbon offsets, you are funding a project that reduces greenhouse-gas emissions elsewhere by, for example, increasing energy efficiency, developing renewable energy, restoring forests, or sequestering carbon in soil.
- —Al Gore, An Inconvenient Truth, 2006