ca·rapa | \ kəˈrapə \
Definition of carapa
1 capitalized : a small genus of tropical trees (family Meliaceae) having abruptly pinnate leaves and flowers with four or five petals and monadelphous stamens
2 or less commonly carap \ kəˈrap \ or crab \ ˈkrab \ plural -s [carap, short for carapa; crab, by folk etymology from carapa] : any tree of the genus Carapa carap wood crab nut — see crabwood
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game