ca·pu·lin | \ ¦käpə¦lēn\
variants: or less commonly capuli \ -lē \ or capolin \ -pə¦lēn \
Definition of capulin
1 : a Mexican tree (Prunus capuli) that is sometimes considered to be a form of black cherry (P. serotina) and that yields a sap used in native remedies and has edible cherries of which the kernels of the pits furnish a flour
2 : a tropical American tree (Trema micrantha) the bark of which yields a strong fiber
3 : a ground cherry (Physalis pubescens)
4 : a Mexican timber tree (Condalia obovata) whose hard wood furnishes a blue dye
5 : calabur tree
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game