cap·ri·fo·li·um | \ -ˈfōlēəm\
Definition of caprifolium
1 capitalized, in some especially former classifications : a genus of plants that is the type of the family Caprifoliaceae but is now usually considered a subgenus of Lonicera
2 plural -s : a plant of the family Caprifoliaceae (as a honeysuckle)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game