capitalize onphrasal verb
capitalized on; capitalizing on; capitalizes on
Definition of capitalize on
: to get an advantage from (something, such as an event or situation) They were able to capitalize on our mistakes. She capitalized on her new fame by writing a book.
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game