Definition of cannonball tree
1 : a South American tree (Couroupita guianensis) of the family Lecythidaceae bearing a large globose fruit with a hard woody rind
2 : an East Indian tree (Xylocarpus granatum) of the family Meliaceae bearing a hard woody fruit and yielding a hard useful wood
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?