Definition of calcium hydride
: a saltlike compound CaH2 that is white and crystalline when pure but is usually obtained in gray to gray-brown lumps and that is used chiefly as a reducing agent in the preparation of powdered metals, as a portable source of hydrogen, and as a drying agent
— called also hydrolith
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?