Definition of calamondin
: a small hybrid citrus tree (Citrofortunella microcarpa synonym Citrofortunella mitis synonym Citrus mitis) of warm regions cultivated chiefly as an ornamental also : its small, tart, orange fruit resembling a mandarin or kumquat and yielding an acidic juice used especially as a flavoring agent or in beverages and marmalades
Note: While the calamondin has been widely grown in the Philippines and Indonesia, it is thought to be native to China.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
- Is 'Cement' 'Concrete'?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game