Definition of by-product oven
: a coke oven consisting typically of rows of long narrow coking chambers that alternate with flues in which fuel gas is burned, used especially for high-temperature and medium-temperature carbonization of coal, and having provision for recovery of volatile products (such as gas, ammonia, light oils, and tar)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game