Definition of buzzer-beater
: a shot successfully made just before a buzzer or horn sounds to signal the end of a period especially : such a shot made to win a game just before the final buzzer or horn sounds A few weeks later, he had his first buzzer-beater, a game-winning shot as time expired to beat the Knicks. — Sam Smith, Basketball Digest, January 1994 Washington's Loree Payne had the buzzer-beater, taking an inbound pass with 0.7 seconds left and sinking a 15-footer as the horn blared to give Washington a 67–65 victory over Old Dominion at Gainesville, Fla. — New York Times, 18 Mar. 2001
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game