button one's lip/lipsidiom
Definition of button one's lip/lips
: to not talk about something Button your lip. He's coming toward us. Don't tell him what I said, please. You know he can't keep his lips buttoned.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- The Exceptions Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game