variants: or or
Definition of button cell
: a small, round, flat battery typically used in watches or other small electronic devices (such as hearing aids) Part of the discussion at the forum centered on ways area residents can help curb mercury emissions by avoiding throwing away products that contain mercury—thermometers, button cell batteries, fluorescent lights, and the like—into the trash.— Matt Gunderson, Boston Globe, 13 Dec. 2007
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game