bust upphrasal verb
busted up also bust up; busting up; busts up
Definition of bust up
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : to end a relationship with someone Their marriage busted up after three years. Didn't you hear? They busted up.
2 : to cause (something) to end His gambling problem busted up their marriage. The police busted the party up.
Definition of bust-up (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : the end of a relationship, marriage, etc. : breakup the bust-up of their marriage
2 British : a very bad argument or disagreement : quarrel or fight They had a bust-up over money.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?