Definition of bursting strength
: the capacity of a material (such as a paper or textile) or object (such as a metal pipe) to maintain in continuity when subjected to pressure broadly : the pressure often expressed in pounds per square inch required to rupture such a material or object under rigidly controlled conditions
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game