burn upphrasal verb
burned up or burnt up; burning up; burns up
Definition of burn up
: to be destroyed or cause (something) to be destroyed by fire Most asteroids burn up upon entering the Earth's atmosphere. Wildfires have been raging across the region burning up acres of forest. Do we still need these old receipts? No, burn them up.
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game