burn downphrasal verb
burned down or burnt down; burning down; burns down
Definition of burn down
1 of a building or other structure : to be destroyed by fire The hotel burned down in 1922.
2 of a fire : to become smaller : to gradually produce less and less flame We watched the fire as it slowly burned down.
3 : to destroy (something) by fire Vandals burned down the school. burned it down
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game