burn awayphrasal verb
burned away or burnt away; burning away; burns away
Definition of burn away
: to be removed or to remove (something) by fire or heat The outer layer of wooden shingles burned away quickly in the fire. The fire quickly burned the outer layer of wooden shingles away. burned away unwanted hair
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?