bump upphrasal verb
bumped up; bumping up; bumps up
Definition of bump up
: to move (something or someone) to a higher level, position, rank, etc. Prices are being bumped up. They're bumping her up to district manager.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game