Definition of bulliform cell
: one of the large thin-walled apparently empty cells that occur in the epidermis of many grass leaves and that by their turgor changes cause rolling and unrolling of the leaves thus regulating water loss
— called also hygroscopic cell, motor cell
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/22/19
- Is 'Positively' Positively Legal?
- The True Story of 'Realize' and 'Realise'
- Out to Sea with 'Wave' and 'Waive'
Ask the Editors
- Name that Food Quiz Take the quiz
- Pass the Little Ribbons: A Pasta Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game