Definition of bull shark
: an aggressive requiem shark (Carcharhinus leucas) of tropical to subtropical coastal waters that has a short, blunt snout and small eyes, is tolerant of freshwater and may spend extended periods in rivers, and has been known to attack people Bull sharks—believed to be the culprits in the two recent Florida attacks—are especially pugnacious and often found in shallow water.— Prakash Gandhi et al.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game