Definition of bulbophyllum
: any of a large genus (Bulbophyllum) of chiefly tropical and subtropical orchids that grow on plants or rocks and that have creeping rhizomes, a rounded bulblike stem bearing one or two leaves, and an often showy flower with a hinged labellum
Note: Many bulbophyllums are pollinated by flies and the flowers of some plants emit a pungent, often offensive odor to attract flies that feed on decaying flesh.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game