Definition of buff-breasted sandpiper
: a small stocky sandpiper (Tryngites subruficollis) having uniformly buff underparts and yellowish legs, breeding on the northwest coast of North America, wintering in Argentina, and migrating chiefly by the central flyway or to the east coast of Canada and over the Atlantic
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game