buff upphrasal verb
Definition of buff up
: to become stronger and more muscular or to make (someone or something) stronger and more muscular through exercising and weight lifting She is buffing up for her role as a female boxer. He buffed himself up by going to the gym every day. —often used as buffed-up buffed-up bodies
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game