buddy upphrasal verb
buddied up; buddying up; buddies up
Definition of buddy up
: to become friendly especially in order to get help or some advantage —often + with New students are encouraged to buddy up with older students. —often + to businessmen buddying up to politicians in order to get their support
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?