Definition of buck lateral
: a football play in which the back who receives the pass from center either (1) bucks into the line with the ball after faking a handoff to a teammate who in turn fakes a pitchout or (2) fakes a buck into the line after giving the ball to a teammate who in turn may lateral the ball, hand it off, keep it and run with it, or drop back and pass
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game