Definition of bubble sextant
: a sextant used especially in aerial navigation in which the image of the heavenly body being observed is brought to the edge of a bubble instead of to the sea horizon, the bubble appearing in its proper position in the field of view only when the sextant is held so that its zero plane is the observer's horizontal plane
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?