brown root rotnoun
Definition of brown root rot
1 : a disease that most frequently affects plants of the pea, potato, and cucumber families, is caused by a fungus (Thielavia basicola), and is characterized by brown to blackish discoloration of the roots and stem base accompanied by decay of these parts
2 : a disease of tobacco and other plants comparable to brown root rot of fungus origin and believed to be caused by attack of meadow nematodes
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?