Definition of brown butter
: butter that has been heated in a pan until it has a light brown color and a nutty flavor and aroma Serve bisque topped with mushrooms and drizzled with brown butter. — Gourmet, November 2002
— called also beurre noisette
Keep scrolling for more
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game