Definition of brook grass
: an aquatic perennial grass (Catabrosa aquatica) that is widely distributed in the northern hemisphere and sometimes used for pasture, that roots at the lower nodes, and that has overlapping leaf sheaths, soft flat leaves, and a pyramidal inflorescence
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game