Definition of broken rhyme
1 : rhyme in which one of the rhyming elements is divided by the break or by a pause between two words (as in Lord Byron's rhyming “ … Attic; all … ” with “mathematical”)
2 : rhyme involving division of a word by the break between two lines in order to end a line with a rhyme provided by the first part of the word (as in G. M. Hopkins's dividing king-/dom to rhyme king- with wing)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game