variants: or less commonly broad-wing hawk \ ˈ⸗ˌ⸗- \
Definition of broad-winged hawk
: a common American hawk (Buteo platypterus) that is dark brown above with lower parts white streaked with brown
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?