bring (something) to a stopidiom
Definition of bring (something) to a stop
1 : to bring (something) to a state in which it is no longer moving He slowly brought the car to a stop.
2 : to bring (something) to a state in which no further activity happens Production was brought to a stop by the strike.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game