Examples of brevity in a Sentence
- Mike Espy resigned under pressure as Secretary of Agriculture yesterday at a news conference remarkable for its brevity and general absence of whining. —New York Times, 4 Oct. 1994
- Lincoln was able to achieve the loftiness, ideality, and brevity of the Gettysburg Address because he had spent a good part of the 1850s repeatedly relating all the most sensitive issues of the day to the Declaration's supreme principle. —Garry Wills, Lincoln At Gettysburg, 1992
- The book's brevity is its major defect. Admittedly, readers of military history have been smothered by portentous tomes of a thousand pages or more. But 365 pages are too few to tell the Normandy story. —Drew Middleton, New York Times Book Review, 15 Aug. 1982
- "Maudie, I'm sure I don't know what you mean," said Mrs. Merriweather. "I'm sure you do," Miss Maudie said shortly. She said no more. When Miss Maudie was angry, her brevity was icy. —Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird, 1960
The book's major flaw is its brevity.
the best quality a graduation speech can have is brevity
Recent Examples of brevity from the Web
Back in the day, texts were all about brevity and necessity, like a natural evolution of a telegram.
This interview has been edited for clarity and brevity.
Here, brevity is not a major criterion, since jockeys likely don’t actually converse with their steeds in the heat of a race.
Their words have been lightly edited for clarity and brevity.
Editor’s note: Some questions and answers have been edited for clarity and brevity. Tanner Walters:
Editor’s note: Some questions and answers have been edited for clarity and brevity.
Lamenting the brevity of summer is a Chicago summer tradition, but no need to rush it.
The brevity of the defense case contrasted with the presentation by prosecutors, who called 12 witnesses over five days of often-emotional testimony.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'brevity.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonymsbriefness, conciseness, shortness
Related Wordsabbreviation, abridgment (or abridgement), compression, condensation, contraction, curtailment; decreasing, diminishing, lessening, reducing, shortening, shrinking; abruptness, brusqueness, curtness; compendiousness, crispness, laconism, pithiness, succinctness, tautness, terseness; littleness, minuteness, smallness, tininess
Near Antonymsextensiveness; elongating, elongation, extending, extension, prolongation, prolonging, protraction, stretching; expansion, growth, spread; diffuseness, garrulousness, long-windedness, prolixity, talkativeness, talkiness, verboseness, volubility, wordiness; bigness, bulkiness, greatness, heftiness, largeness
BREVITY Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of brevity for English Language Learners
: the use of few words to say something
: the quality or fact of lasting only for a short period of time
BREVITY Defined for Kids
Definition of brevity for Students
- The concert's brevity disappointed fans.
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up brevity? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).