break openphrasal verb
broke open; broken open; breaking open; breaks open
Definition of break open
: to open or to cause (something) to open suddenly The pods broke open and the seeds scattered on the wind. The police broke open the door. The burglars broke the locked safe open.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?