break one's neckidiom
Definition of break one's neck
: to cause one's neck bone to crack or break He fell off the roof and broke his neck. —sometimes used in speech to tell someone he or she could get hurt Stop jumping on the bed. You're going to break your neck.
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game