\ ˈbrä(ä)ⁿl, ˈbrȯⁿl\
variants: or less commonly bransle \ ˈbrä(ä)ⁿl , ˈbrȯⁿl \ or brawl \ ˈbrȯl \
Definition of branle
1 : one of several couple dances of French origin that were popular in the 16th and 17th centuries, usually in duple measure, mimetic, accompanied by singing, and danced in groups typically in a circle
2 : a sideward balance step in a clockwise direction used in branle dances
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?