brach·i·o·lar·ia | \ ˌbrakēōˈla(a)rēə\
plural brachiolariae\ -rēˌē \
Definition of brachiolaria
: a transitional larva of certain starfishes that develops from the bipinnaria and is distinguished by possession of three anterior processes homologous with those of the adult starfish
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game