bottled up; bottling up; bottles up
Definition of bottle up
: to keep (a feeling or emotion) inside instead of expressing it : to hide (a feeling or emotion) She's kept her feelings about the accident bottled up for too long. I know he's angry, but he bottles it up inside instead of talking to someone about it.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game