bottle upphrasal verb
bottled up; bottling up; bottles up
Definition of bottle up
: to keep (a feeling or emotion) inside instead of expressing it : to hide (a feeling or emotion) She's kept her feelings about the accident bottled up for too long. I know he's angry, but he bottles it up inside instead of talking to someone about it.
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?