bottle upphrasal verb
bottled up; bottling up; bottles up
Definition of bottle up
: to keep (a feeling or emotion) inside instead of expressing it : to hide (a feeling or emotion) She's kept her feelings about the accident bottled up for too long. I know he's angry, but he bottles it up inside instead of talking to someone about it.
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game