border onphrasal verb
bordered on; bordering on; borders on
Definition of border on
1 : to have a border on (something) : to lie on a boundary of (something) The area my ancestors come from borders on the Atacama Desert.
2 : to be very like (something) : to come very close to being (something) The play's dialog borders on the ridiculous. an enthusiasm bordering on fanaticism
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game