Definition of bone oil
1 : a dark-colored ill-smelling oil obtained by carbonizing bones (as in making bone black) that contains hydrocarbons and many nitrogen compounds (such as pyrrole and pyridine bases) and is used especially in sheep dips and in denaturing alcohol
— called also animal oil, Dippel's oil
2 : the liquid portion of bone fat used as a lubricant and in leather manufacture
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game