Definition of bone oil
1 : a dark-colored ill-smelling oil obtained by carbonizing bones (as in making bone black) that contains hydrocarbons and many nitrogen compounds (such as pyrrole and pyridine bases) and is used especially in sheep dips and in denaturing alcohol
— called also animal oil, Dippel's oil
2 : the liquid portion of bone fat used as a lubricant and in leather manufacture
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game