bog downphrasal verb
bogged down; bogging down; bogs down
Definition of bog down
1 : to cause (something) to sink in wet ground The mud bogged down the car. The car got bogged down in the mud. —often used figuratively It's easy to get bogged down in details.
2 : to become stuck in wet ground The car bogged down in the mud. —often used figuratively The story bogs down after the second chapter.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?