Definition of body color
1 : the color of the body of absorbing substances (such as gems) due to transmitted light —opposed to surface color
2a : a pigment that imparts opacity or hiding power to a paint
b : an opaque coat of paint
c : the predominant color of a house or other object as contrasted with the color of the trim
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game