Definition of body English
1 : bodily motions made in a usually unconscious effort to influence the progress of a propelled object (such as a ball)
2 : the bodily movements a rider makes to supplement basic steering of a vehicle … learning to control the howling machine with a combination of throttle and body English …— Peter Passell
3 : body language I was beginning to learn his body English. His hand tightened on mine and he indicated that he wanted to leave.— Harper Lee
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game