Definition of boatswain's mate
1 : an assistant to the boatswain
2 : a petty officer in the U.S. Navy whose specialty is seamanship and who has supervisory duties in the operation of the deck force and the maintenance of equipment
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?