variants: or blue-breasted darter \ ˈ⸗ˌ⸗⸗- \
Definition of bluebreast darter
: a brilliantly colored darter (Poecilichthys camurus) of clear swift streams from Lake Erie to Tennessee
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game